Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lenten Journey

Today, Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten season of the Christian Church. Lent is to be a penitential season, whereby the Christian believer begins the journey toward the cross with Jesus. It is meant to be a time of self reflection and penitence/repentance. As children, we were always asking each other "what are you giving up for Lent?" It was usually candy or gum or something, and was only done until Easter Sunday when whatever we "gave up" was resumed, most often with a vengeance.

Tonight, at our service we were encouraged to do that which brings us closer to God, and closer to our neighbor, in love. We were reminded that the religious leaders of Jesus' day had built their whole lives and religious practice around a misunderstanding of God. The question was asked, "Don't you wish they could have given up what they were doing wrong?" I suppose that is the question we must all ask ourselves as well. Where do we have misunderstandings of God, and how do those misunderstandings direct how we express our faith. Am I able to give up those misunderstandings of God, if it means that I would move in a newer and better direction of loving God and neighbor. I would surely hope so.

So, I am hoping to move on that journey towards examining my understanding of God and how I might love God with all my heart, soul, and mind, and love my neighbor as myself.

3 Comments:

At March 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Sheri said...

Dear Susan, Sorry to bother you this way - I could not find an email on your blog. I hold the trademark to Journeys of the Spirit and I am so sorry to say that you are going to need to change the name of your blog. Please contact me at journeys@journeysofthespirit.com
Blessings, Sheri

 
At March 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM , Blogger SusanWM said...

Sheri, I tried to contact you at your address listed, and it says,"cannot find this site, please make sure spelling is correct and try again."
Not sure what to do. Susan

 
At March 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM , Blogger SusanWM said...

Sheri,

I inquired into the legalities of this, with some friends, one who is a blogger, and her husband who is a lawyer. I am copying what Don said,

"The registration is for travel agency services. It covers only that particular field and anything reasonably related to it. I don’t believe that a blog even comes close. So, I think that Susan is fine. The fact that Susan is not a business or trying to sell anything under the name also helps."

- Don

I would also let you know that I don't really publish my blog to a lot of people. I most likely have about 2 regular readers, and I am not making money on the blog. In fact, I doubt anyone would give me money for it! I hope this settles the matter for you.

Susan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home