Monday, June 1, 2009

Pro Life?

Today in the news, it was reported about Dr. Tiller, in Kansas, who was gunned down in his church Sunday morning while passing out bulletins for the congregation. And why was he gunned down in his church? Because he is a family practice Dr. who performs abortions. Whether or not someone agrees with abortion or not, I am trying to wrap my mind around someone who is an activist for pro life issues, and yet finds it ok to commit murder. What does it mean when one says they are pro life? One would think that it would be all the way around the issue, and yet so often those who are activists for pro life, really mean anti abortion, because they simultaneously will support the death penalty, and often are strong supporters of the military. So, to say they are pro life, is really a misnomer. If their belief is to not take the life of an innocent life, then, what about the innocents of Iraq and Afghanistan? Are their lives not as important as the fetus that is aborted? What about those who are on death row unjustly? Are their lives not as important? So what makes someone who says they are pro life, claim that for only one portion of life, and not all? I find it blatantly inconsistent,hypocritical, and I would even go so far as to say that those like the one who took Dr. Tiller's life, are in line with domestic terrorists, and should be prosecuted as such, on top of the murder charges. They are no different than the Taliban who assume that all should believe as they do, regarding women, religion, politics, etc. and they will kill those who oppose them.

Those such as Randall Terry and Bill O'Reilly, and others who would incite these radicals by labeling Dr's such as Dr. Tiller as "mass murderers" or "evil men" or anything similar should also have some accountability for their inciting violence that leads to someone else's murder.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Dr. Tiller's wife, daughter and family, as well as the congregation who were so traumatized yesterday morning, while practicing their faith. I give thanks that Justice is in the hands of God, and that the murderer of Dr. Terry is in custody to face his own justice. I do however hope that he is met by more grace than he gave to Dr. Terry.

1 Comments:

At June 6, 2009 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Kathy H said...

Great point! I often use that argument to describe my political beliefs. I'm anti-abortion and anti-death penalty, so I say I'm anti-death or pro-life. I may not fit perfectly into any political party, but at least I'm consistent!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home