Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Soul Listening

Tonight, I attended a Bible Study at our church. The topic was on Prayer primarily. The speaker reminded us about the need for silence, in order to hear the Spirit speaking to us. We were given a list of questions, that came from Phillip Yancey's book, "Prayer, Does it Make Any Difference."

They are as follows:

How can I slow down?
How can I simplify?
How can I bring silence into my life?
Hw can I savor this moment?
How can I speak up? (Tell the Truth)
How can I settle in? (Establish roots and rituals)
How can I shed my armor and masks?
How can I soften my approach to life?
How can I serve the community?

All great questions. The only one I don't struggle with is the last one! I do serve my community, both local and throughout LA. To the point sometimes of being frazzled!! But slowing down? Simplifying? Silence? What's that? It is what I need to do, in order to remain open to the transformative work of the Spirit. The three things that distract us or prevent us from being able to do "Soul Listening" is Busyness, Noise and Crowds. It is a discipline to create the space to listen; to be still, and to be intentional about being in touch with our Spirits.

It is hard work, but necessary. Any comments or ideas are welcomed!

Susan

1 Comments:

At July 12, 2008 at 6:03 AM , Blogger XtnYoda said...

I find that meditating on a specific scripture passage throughout the day helps. Example: when I am feeling emotionally frazzled I simply meditate on the one phrase, "You restore my soul/life" from Psalm 23.

I just sort of "mull" that over and over in my mind all day long. I embrace the truth of it. I go to bed with it in my thoughts.

I have learned to celebrate the truth of it. At this point the reality of the scripture becomes...yours.

God Bless

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home