Sunday, October 5, 2008

Family

The older I get, the more I realize the importance of family, and realize how too often our families only get together for weddings or funerals, and sometimes holidays. My cousins, from N. Ireland/Scotland are visiting. So we had a reunion today, which was so much fun. It was great to catch up with them & to see my son wrestling and playing around with cousins he barely knows, but seemed to have a great connection with.

But there is something about family, that ties us to those who define who we are, who share similar stories, who remind us of our heritage, and who give us a sense of belonging. It is so important to maintain those ties that ground us.

As I was sitting there at the table with my parents and my dad's cousins who are all in their 80's now, it was very apparent that our time with them has a time limit, and that at least for me, when my parents are gone, these cousins whom I love, but whom I rarely see, will be the only family I will have, not counting my son. I began gathering phone numbers and email addresses, and realizing that if we don't take the responsibility of keeping in touch, we will get involved with our daily lives, and lose contact with each other. It happens too often. I don't want that happening with us. One of my cousins and I began talking about having a family portrait done with everyone. While the logistics of that sounds daunting, it would be great to at least try.

As much as we may be different in terms of lifestyles, political or religous preferences, etc. we still have this tie that binds us, simply because of my grandmother and her brothers (all 7 of them) who were born in Northern Ireland, half of whom moved to the USA, and half stayed in Northern Ireland. We have all gone over to visit our family in Northern Ireland, and most of them have now come over here to see us. It is great when we gather, and share our stories, and lives; our joys and sorrows; share pictures, dreams, hopes, etc.

Family, for all of it's bizarre aspects, and sometimes dysfunctional dynamics, is an awesome thing to be a part of.

But the other cool thing about family, is that we can also have family that are chosen. Family who come into our lives through a variety of circumstances and experiences, but become such a part of us that we know we can depend on them as much as we would drop everything to go be with them if needed. Those who touch our souls in those deep places and we no longer have to explain ourselves or our needs but know there is an unspoken understanding that just exists. One of my sisters is a dear friend from Kindergarten on, so about 40+ years, refers to us as "sisters from different mothers."

So my hope for all is that as we each have family, whether it be biological or chosen, that we all know who we belong to, and who belongs to us. And beyond that, I hope that we all take good care of each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home