Monday, August 11, 2008

Tom

As I was at work and doing a graveside service for one of my patients, It dawned on me that it is the 7th anniversary of my brother's sudden death. He died suddenly of a heart attack at the young age of 46. It's funny how we can get up in the morning and go through our day, and not think of something like that until we see the date, and it jogs the memory. So, I am pensive. Not particularly sad, but pensive, thinking, remembering. We went and put some flowers at his nitche, and talked a little about how unbelieveable it is that he has been gone for 7 years. In some ways it seems like an eternity, and in others it seems like yesterday.

My clinical pastoral education supervisor talked about grief being more than just the sadness of a loss of that person, but also what that person symbolized to us. I have given that great thought through the last 7 years. Tom shared my DNA, like no one else in the world. We shared the life experiences and didn't have to explain to each other. It's especially poignant these days as I am now an only child, caring for elderly parents. We would have been partners in this journey that is often challenging.

But he was a gifted builder, artistic, musical, a great friend, funny. And much, much more.
I do miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home